According to a history of the community Giesing (now a part of the city of Munich) is, at least, half of a millennium older than Munich and is one of the oldest settlements in Bavaria. At the latest, in 550 A.D. Kyeso, the head of a Bavarian clan of 50 to 60 in number, immigrating from the north or north-east, tired of the restless moving about, took land under cultivation and built homes. The settlement Kyesinga (clan of Kyeso) on the right bank of the Isar River was located on the hillside which made it easy to defend.
documents it was first mentioned on 14 July 790 A.D. when the priest
Icho presented his inherited estate at Giesing (Kyesinga) to Bishop
Otto, the Bishop of Freising. Likely Icho was permitted to be pastor
at Giesing. The great antiquity of the settlement was also confirmed
through the early Bavarian cemetery with 253 graves which were
discovered at the building of the new school house in 1899...The
deceased from the clan of Kyeso and their descendants to about 700
A.D. were buried in this cemetery which lies between the present Icho
and Silberhorn streets. "In
another historical reference to this cemetery, it is recorded that
over 300 skeletons, some in caskets and some only covered with a
board were found. Under these boards were men in armor and with
weapons, women with jewelry of amber and bronze and also numerous
children. All were buried facing east...
CHAMOIS, MISSOURI Chamois is located in one of the most picturesque sections of the state, on the Missouri River and the Missouri Pacific Railroad, is located 13 miles north of Linn, Missouri. The greater portion of the land upon which the city is located was entered by J. M. Laughlin and settled by the Shobe's in 1818, before the river had encroached upon the bottom land north of Chamois.
The town was given its name by Morgan Harbor, who was one of the first settlers to locate near the location of the present city. He conducted a saloon and hotel in a two story double log house, sometimes prior to 1855. This building was destroyed by fire in the winter of 1859. Wheeler and Knott erected a building near the site of the post office and in 1855 Andrew Fitzpatrick built a house on North Main street. The post office was constructed in 1858; during the same year Mrs. P. Sauer’s home was completed and the Masonic Hall was erected on the site of Walker and Shobe’s saloon. Thomas Green built a log saloon on Pacific street near Mr. Adam’s Log store. E. A. Dudgeon’s house was the first built on the hill. There had been an old log house built on the Old Pryor’s Mill road long before buildings appeared in Chamois. Dr. D. W. S. McCall built his house on Main street and in 1851 Rhodes and Miller built the first saw mill. A brick kiln was started by F. Vallet and Welton and Hunter built a store which was later used as a Catholic Church in 1858.
The town experienced rapid growth in 1873 when the repair shop and the round-house was located there. The railroad was completed from St. Louis to Jefferson City, Missouri in the summer of 1855, and the great railroad disaster, when the Gasconade River bridge gave way under a heavily loaded excursion train occurred November 1, 1855. The excursion was to celebrate the opening of the railroad for traffic, the great catastrophe happened, in which 200 lives were lost.
The Bank of Chamois was established in 1890, this was the first bank in Osage County and remained in business till 1936. The Peoples Bank of Chamois was established in 1913 and closed in 1935. The Chamois Roller Mills was built in 1913, but a flour mill had been in operation many years prior, being known as the burr mill. The Osage County Enterprise, formerly called the "Liberalist" (now the News of Osage County) was established in 1888 by A. J. Childers, during the year of the great "Knights of Labor Strike" on the railroad.
The Catholic Church was founded in 1865, the Methodist Church in 1868, the Christian Church in 1870, the Colored Church in 1872 and the Evangelical Church in 1885. The Masonic Lodge was chartered in 1859. The city was lighted by electric lights for the first time in the fall of 1914. The city water work and sewer system was installed in 1923. The International Shoe Company opened a branch factory in Chamois in 1923, which operated until 1932. The Chamois high school was accredited and approved as a first class four high school in 1920. During the World War, Chamois organized the 138th Field Hospital Company, which was sent over seas and rendered valiant service with no loss of life.
organized the first First-Aid Red Cross in Missouri in 1917 and the
class was chartered by act of Congress prior to the organization of
Osage County American Red Cross Chapter, which was also organized in
Chamois, and the headquarters of the chapter remained in Chamois
until 1938 when it was transferred to Linn, Missouri , the county
12th Regiment, Missouri Infantry (UNION) Organized at St. Louis, Mo., August, 1861. Attached to Fremont's Army of the West to January, 1862. 2nd Brigade, Army of Southwest Missouri, to February, 1862. 2nd Brigade, 1st Division, Army of Southwest Missouri, to May, 1862. 3rd Division, Army of Southwest Missouri, to July, 1862. District of Eastern Arkansas, Dept. of Missouri, to December, 1862. 1st Brigade, 11th Division, Right Wing 13th Army Corps (Old), Dept. of the Tennessee, to December, 1862. 2nd Brigade, 4th Division, Sherman's Yazoo Expedition, to January, 1863. 2nd Brigade, 1st Division, to September, 1863. 1st Brigade, 1st Division, 15th Army Corps, to December, 1863. 3rd Brigade, 1st Division, 15th Army Corps, to November, 1864.
SERVICE.-Fremont's advance on Springfield, Mo., September to November, 1861. Moved to Jefferson City, thence to Sedalia and Springfield. To Wilson's Creek October 6-8. Duty at Rolla till January, 1862. Expedition to Danville December 26, 1861. Curtis' Campaign in Missouri and Arkansas against Price January to March, 1862. Advance on Springfield February 2-16. Pursuit of Price into Arkansas February 14-29. Battles of Pea Ridge, Ark., March 6-8. March to Batesville April 5-May 3; thence to Helena, Ark., May 25-July 14. Expedition from Helena to mouth of White River August 5-8.
Moved to Ironton-Pilot Knob, Mo., September 1. To St. Genevieve November 12, and return to Helena November 23. Sherman's Yazoo Expedition December 22, 1862, to January 3, 1863. Chickasaw Bayou December 26-28. Chickasaw Bluff December 29. Expedition to Arkansas Post, Ark., January 3-10, 1863. Assault and capture of Fort Hindman, Arkansas Post, January 10-11.
Moved to Young's Point, La., January 17-23. Duty there till March and at Milliken's Bend till April. Expedition to Greenville, Black Bayou and Deer Creek April 2-14. Demonstration on Haines and Drumgould's Bluffs April 29-May 2. Moved to join army in rear of Vicksburg, Miss., via Richmond and Grand Gulf May 2-14. Mississippi Springs May 12-13. Jackson May 14. Siege of Vicksburg, Miss., May 18-July 4. Assaults on Vicksburg May 19 and 22. Advance on Jackson, Miss., July 4-10. Siege of Jackson July 10-17. Bolton's Depot July 16. Brier Creek, near Canton, July 17. Clinton July 18. Camp at Big Black till September 27.
Moved to Memphis, Tenn., thence march to Chattanooga, Tenn., September 27-November 21. Operations on Memphis & Charleston Railroad in Alabama October 20-29. Cherokee Station October 21 and 29. Cane Creek October 26. Tuscumbia October 26-27. Battles of Chattanooga November 23-27. Lookout Mountain November 23-24. Mission Ridge November 25. Ringgold Gap, Taylor's Ridge, November 27. March to relief of Knoxville November 28-December 8. Garrison duty in Alabama at Woodville and Scottsboro, Ala., and at Cleveland, Tenn., to May, 1864.
Atlanta (Ga.) Campaign May 1 to September 8. Demonstration on Resaca May 8-13. Battle of Resaca May 13-15. Advance on Dallas May 18-25. Battles about Dallas, New Hope Church and Allatoona Hills May 25-June 5. Operations about Marietta and against Kenesaw Mountain June 10-July 2. Bushy Mountain June 15-17. Assault on Kenesaw June 27. Nickajack Creek July 2-5. Chattahoochie River July 6-17. Battle of Atlanta July 22. Siege of Atlanta July 22-August 25. Ezra Chapel, Hood's 2nd Sortie, July 28. Flank movement on Jonesboro August 25-30. Lovejoy Station September 2-6. Pursuit of Hood into Alabama October 1-21. Mustered out by Companies from August 12 to November 14, 1864. Consolidated with Detachments from 3rd and 17th Missouri Volunteer Infantry and subsequently transferred to 15th Missouri Infantry.
Regiment lost during service 10 Officers and 102 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and 2 Officers and 94 Enlisted men by disease. Total 208.